Bethlehem PA- Today, U.S. Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) pushed for passage of legislation that would create a nationwide ‘AMBER Alert’ style system for missing seniors. The proposal would create a ‘Silver Alert’ system that would bring federal coordination to state and local efforts to track down missing seniors. Senator Casey was joined by seniors and advocates for older Pennsylvanians who discussed the challenges faced by someone dealing with a disease like Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. According to the Alzheimer’s Association 6 in 10 individuals with dementia will wander at some point, yet no federal efforts exist that specifically target seniors.
“This is commonsense legislation that would bring an approach that’s proven successful for missing children to missing seniors,” Senator Casey said. “The Silver Alert system will bring federal coordination to combat a problem that is becoming more difficult as our population ages and more of our residents struggle with challenges like Alzheimer’s and dementia. Having a targeted program that is focused on seniors will better help municipalities and families during these emergencies.”
The approach Senator Casey, a member of the Senate’s Special Committee on Aging, supports would create a nationwide network for locating missing adults and senior citizens. The National Silver Alert Act would create a federal program modeled after the AMBER Alert and provide federal coordination and assistance to local and state law enforcement agencies. This legislation is supported by the Alzheimer’s Association, Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, Elder Justice Coalition, National Association of Police Organizations and the National Sheriffs’ Association.
S.1814: National Silver Alert Act of 2013
National Silver Alert Act of 2013 - Directs the Attorney General to:
- Create A National Silver Alert Communications Network To Help Assist Regional And Local Search Efforts For Missing Seniors;
- When Possible, Coordinate With The AMBER Alert Communications Network; And
- Designate A Silver Alert Coordinator At The Department Of Justice To Coordinate The Network With States.
Directs The Coordinator To:
- Create Standards For Sending Alerts Through The Network;
- Make Available Training And Information About The Network;
- Work With States To Have Silver Alert Plans Which Will Promote An Integrated Plan Throughout The US;
- Work With States To Ensure Regional Coordination.