The honor to serve the United States
Each year, Senator Casey has the privilege of nominating qualified Pennsylvanian students to the service academies of the Armed Forces of the United States. This page outlines that nomination and application process.
To begin the nomination process, candidates should first apply directly to the service academy they wish to attend: the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, or the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. (The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require Congressional nomination.)
After applying for admission, candidates must then apply for nomination to the academy. When applying for nomination from Senator Casey, candidates should only apply for their academy of first preference. (Candidates will be able to indicate their first preference on their application.)
In addition to Senator Casey, candidates should apply for all other nominations for which they may be eligible, including via their other elected representatives in Congress and the Vice President of the United States.
In order to be considered for a Congressional nomination by Senator Casey, candidates must complete the following by 5:00 PM on October 1, 2021:
- Complete the online application (linked below).
- Complete and attach an essay to the application.
- Attach a recent photo to the application.
- Download and complete the “Signed Statement of Intent” form, and attach it to the application.
- Attach to the application an official transcript for all high schools, junior colleges, and colleges the candidate has attended. All high school transcripts must include final junior year grades. (If the candidate's school does not issue transcripts to students, the school may submit them directly to Senator Casey's office.)
- Attach to the application official SAT I or ACT scores. If these scores are not on the candidate's official academic transcript, please make arrangements to have them submitted directly to Senator Casey's Scranton office no later than October 1, 2021, by 5:00 PM. Senator Casey's office SAT I Score Code is 5042. The office ACT Score Code is 7176. (Please know that sending SAT score reports through the College Board may cause a delay in them being uploaded to the candidate's application.)
- Attach to the application three letters of recommendation from individuals who know the candidate well. One of these letters must be from a mathematics or science teacher; none can be from a family member. If the recommender(s) would prefer to submit their letter(s) directly to Senator Casey's office, they are welcome to do so.
All application materials must be uploaded to candidate applications by 5:00 PM on October 1, 2021. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Please do not mail personal application materials to Senator Casey's office.
Interviews are scheduled for November 15, 16, and 17, 2021, either in person or via videoconference. The decision on how to conduct the interviews will be based on public health guidance. Continue to monitor this website for updates.
If candidates are selected for an interview, they will be notified by email of the exact date and time. If candidates do not receive written notice of an interview, please contact Senator Casey's office at Academy_Nominations@casey.senate.gov.
The Congressional nomination process is very competitive and one that Senator Casey and his Service Academy Selection Panel take very seriously. Know that if some candidates do not receive a nomination from Senator Casey, it does not necessarily mean they do not meet academy standards. Rather, it likely reflects the high caliber of candidates who applied for a very limited number of nominations.