The honor to serve the United States
Each year, I have the privilege of nominating qualified Pennsylvania students to the United States Service Academies. This page contains detailed information about the nomination and application process. If the following information doesn't answer all of your questions, please contact my office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To begin the nomination process, you should first apply directly to the service academy you wish to attend (e.g. the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy or the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy). You should then apply for all of the nominations for which you may be eligible including, but not limited to, your elected representatives in Congress and the Vice President of the United States.
In order to be considered for a congressional nomination, you must complete the following by 5:00 p.m. ET on October 7, 2022:
- Complete the online application by clicking "Academy Application" below.
- Complete and attach an essay to your online application.
- Attach a recent photo of your online application.
- Download the completed “Signed Statement of Intent” form, sign, and attach it to your online application.
- Attach to your online application an official transcript for all high schools, junior colleges, and colleges you have attended. All high school transcripts must include final junior year grades. Note: if your school does not issue transcripts to students, your school may submit them directly to my office.
- Attach to your online application official SAT I or ACT scores. If these scores are not on your official academic transcript, you may upload them to your online application or make arrangements to have them submitted directly to my Harrisburg office no later than October 7, 2022, by 5:00 p.m. ET. Our SAT I Score Code is 5042. Our ACT Score Code is 7176. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, please be advised that sending SAT score reports through the College Board may cause a delay in them being uploaded to your application. If you experience any difficulty in scheduling SAT or ACT tests due to the pandemic, please contact my office.
- Attach to your online application three letters of recommendations from individuals who know you well. One of these letters must be from a mathematics or science teacher; none can be from a family member. If your recommender(s) would prefer to submit their letter(s) directly to our office, they are welcome to do so.
All application materials must be attached to your online application by 5:00 p.m. ET on October 7, 2022. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Please do not mail your application materials to the office. If you are unable to have your material uploaded to your application or emailed to my office, please contact us to make alternative arrangements.
Interviews are scheduled for November 15, 16, and 17, 2022, either in person or via Webex. The decision on how to conduct the interviews will be based on updated public health guidance related to the pandemic. Please continue to monitor this website for updates. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail of the exact time and date the week of October 17, 2022. If you do not receive written notice of an interview, please contact my office at email@example.com.
The congressional nomination process is very competitive and one that our Service Academy Selection Panel and I take very seriously. Please understand that if you do not receive a nomination from my office it does not necessarily mean you do not meet academy standards. Rather, it likely reflects the high caliber of candidates who applied for a very limited number of nominations.
I commend you on your desire to serve our nation as an officer in the United States Armed Forces and wish you every success in your pursuit of an appointment to a service academy. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact my office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, please review the these Frequently Asked Questions.